WHEN A CHILD SHOULD NOT GO TO PRIMARY SCHOOL AND THEIR PARENT SHOULD PHONE THEIR GP:
When a child has symptoms, which could indicate Covid-19:
- Temperature of 38 degrees or higher, OR
- A new cough, OR
- Shortness of breath, OR
- Change or loss of sense of taste or smell
If your child has any of the above symptoms they stay at home and isolate. You should telephone their GP who will tell you what to do next – including whether they need a free test.
The rest of the child’s household (including parents and siblings) should also stay at home, at least until they are further advised by the GP.
If your child appears seriously unwell, it is unlikely to be Covid-19 and is more likely to be another illness that needs urgent medical attention. Please call your GP or phone 999 if you are very concerned – we do not want to delay treating other illnesses such as meningitis or pneumonia.
Please also note:
- Children should not go to primary school if someone in their household is unwell with symptoms of Covid-19 – phone your GP
- Children should not go to primary school if they are told they are a close contact of someone who has tested positive for Covid-19
- Children should not go to primary school if they have returned from a country that is not on the green list within the last 14 days
WHEN A CHILD SHOULD NOT GO TO PRIMARY SCHOOL BUT SHOULD BE MONITORED AT HOME BY A PARENT OR CARER
- A child who is mildly unwell with a temperature of less than 38 degrees and who has no cough, no difficulty breathing and a normal sense of taste and smell, should stay at home with a parent or carer
- Their parents can go to work and siblings can go to school/creche
- The parent or carer should telephone their GP if the child becomes more unwell. These children can return to primary school once they have been symptom-free for 48 hours
WHEN A CHILD CAN GO TO PRIMARY SCHOOL
If a child has a runny nose or is sneezing, but is otherwise active and well with a temperature of less than 37.5 degrees, (as long as their temperature has not been lowered by taking any form of paracetamol or ibuprofen) has no cough and no difficulty breathing and no loss or change in taste or smell.